If you’re wondering why we capitalize the letter “I” when we don’t capitalize the first letters of other pronouns, the answer’s simple. It’s easier to read. Martha recommends a book offering a detailed history of every letter of the alphabet. It’s Language Visible: Unraveling the Mystery of the Alphabet from A to Z, by David Sacks. This is part of a complete episode.
- Scat Cat 09/17/2016: The dilemma continues over how to spell dilemma! Grant and Martha try to suss out the backstory of why some people spell that word with... [more]
- We have the results! 09/13/2016: Help support A Way with Words broadcasts and podcasts by making a donation now. Dear friends, Last week we sent out a simple survey to tens of... [more]
- Pop Stand 07/29/2016: When it comes to learning new things, what's on your bucket list? A retired book editor decided to try to learn Latin, and ended up... [more]
- Punch List 07/22/2016: Books for sale, books for free, and wisdom passed down through the ages. Libraries aren't just repositories for books -- they're often a great place... [more]
- Sweet Dreams 06/17/2016: In deafening workplaces, like sawmills and factories, workers develop their own elaborate sign language to discuss everything from how their weekend went to when the... [more]