Discussion Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What is this called?
bartles and james bond
Topic Rating: Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Troy Matthews
New Member
Forum Posts: 1
Member Since:
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Is there a name for this sort of thing?

Making a three word phrase out of two two word phrases that share the same last and first word.
Other examples off the top of my head:
game over rated
butterfly kisses ass
data dump truck
Could be longer phrases:
time flies in the ointment
shooting star ship enterprise
red state of confusion
Phrases like this come to me all the time, and I know I can’t be the only one. Is there a name for them?
Many thanks and love the show.
Forum Posts: 802
Member Since:
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Wheel of Fortune calls it “Before and After”.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 1147

Currently Online: tromboniator, Dick
70 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Heimhenge: 1017

deaconB: 707

Ron Draney: 700

Bob Bridges: 680

RobertB: 509

Robert: 508

tromboniator: 466

Dick: 440

samaphore: 312

dilettante: 287

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 611

Members: 3072

Moderators: 1

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 1

Topics: 3455

Posts: 18330

Newest Members:

HJong916, Marta, Roy Schiramael, Harry Weller, JBH, betaray, KDeppa, John_1, tom macon, z7655431

Administrators: Martha Barnette: 820, Grant Barrett: 1446, EmmettRedd: 802, Glenn: 1719, timfelten: 0