A listener from Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, sent us this riddle: I begin at the end. I am constant but never the same. I am frequently captured but never possessed. What am I? This is part of a complete episode.
- Hell's Half Acre 03/28/2017: Hundreds of years ago, the word girl didn't necessarily mean a female child — in the 14th and 15th centuries, it could refer to a... [more]
- Periods in Acronyms? 03/28/2017: Why, when writing out an abbreviated name like NATO for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, don't we use periods between the letters to form the... [more]
- Name for the Place Where You Scatter Ashes 03/28/2017: When someone's buried in a cemetery, you can visit their grave. But what do you call the place where you go to visit someone's scattered... [more]
- "Girl" Used to Mean Either Gender 03/28/2017: Hundreds of years ago, the word girl could refer to a child of either gender, and the word boy applied specifically to a servant. The... [more]
- Yet Another Baby Shower for Dad Name 03/28/2017: A listener suggests a sartorial twist on our conversation about baby showers for dads-to-be. This is part of a complete episode. ... [more]