Researchers have found that stress is a leading cause of plewds — you know, those drops of sweat popping off the foreheads of nervous cartoon characters. That’s one of several cartooning terms coined by Mort Walker, creator of the Beetle Bailey comic strip. Martha and Grant discuss this and other coinages from The Lexicon of Comicana. This is part of a complete episode.
- Tiger Tail (episode #1540) 01/20/2020: You may have a favorite word in English, but what about your favorite in another language? The Spanish term ojalá is especially handy for expressing... [more]
- Clever Clogs (episode #1539) 12/23/2019: Ribbon fall. Gallery forest. You won't find terms like these in most dictionaries, but they and hundreds like them are discussed by famous writers in... [more]
- Son of a Gun! - a Special Minicast from Grant 12/19/2019: Grant shoots holes in a story that just won’t die that about "son of a gun" and babies born aboard sailing ships. Before you get started... [more]
- Little Shavers (episode #1538) 12/15/2019: The word hipster might seem recent, but it actually originated in the 1930s when it referred to jazz aficionados who were in the know about... [more]
- One of our favorite callers : Adorable six-year-old Aiya! 12/13/2019: ... [more]