n.— «Major Die Breaks are often referred to as “cuds,” a slang holdover term from the 1960s that stuck. A cud occurs when a section of the die face and corresponding shank breaks away and leaves a void in the die in its place. The die will then strike coins with a raised blob of unstruck metal that has been partially forced up into the void during the strike.» —“Errors Found in Search” by Ken Potter July 10, 2008. (source: Double-Tongued Dictionary)

Tagged with →  

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.