If a fellow thinks he’s a cooler than he really is, he’d be known in the South as a dirt road sport. This term’s been defined as “a country boy showing off in a Saturday afternoon town,” and refers to someone reaching beyond his station in life, perhaps by spending beyond his means and making a show of it. This is part of a complete episode.
- Flee Fly Flo 01/02/2017: Wrapping up 2016 with words from the past year and some newsy limericks. Bigly and Brexit were on lots of lips this year, as well... [more]
- Latinx 01/02/2017: The term Latinx, pronounced Lah-TEEN-ex, gained traction in 2016 as a gender-neutral, non-binary alternative to Latino and/or Latina. A variant is Latin@. This is part... [more]
- To Be Honest With You 01/02/2017: What does a person really mean when she starts a statement with "to be honest with you"? It's important not to take such expressions too... [more]
- Zika 01/02/2017: Unfortunately, one word of the year candidate for 2016 is Zika, the name of the mosquito-borne virus linked to devastating birth defects. This is part... [more]
- Year-End Limerick Quiz 01/02/2017: What's an end-of-the-year episode without Quiz Guy John Chaneski's limericks about words in the news? This is part of a complete episode. ... [more]