A San Diego resident who grew up in Ethiopia wonders: If U.S. presidents’ wives have always been referred to as the First Lady, what title is appropriate for the male spouse of a head of state? First Gentleman? First Dude? This is part of a complete episode.
- Flee Fly Flo 01/02/2017: Wrapping up 2016 with words from the past year and some newsy limericks. Bigly and Brexit were on lots of lips this year, as well... [more]
- Nyello 01/02/2017: Responding to our conversation about concluding a phone call with mmm-bye, a listener offers an example of a humorous telephone greeting: "Nyello!" This is part... [more]
- Alte Kacker, Old Cocker 01/02/2017: A Tallahassee, Florida, listener heard an interview in which actor William H. Macy referred to old cockers, apparetly meaning "old fellows." Although one meaning of... [more]
- Words of the Year 2016 01/02/2017: Words of the year for 2016 include bigly, a mishearing of big-league; hygge, a Danish word that has to do with coziness; and Brexit, a... [more]
- Boodler 01/02/2017: A boodler is someone involved in political graft or corruption. The word likely derives from Dutch boedel, meaning "property." This is part of a complete... [more]