n.—Gloss: a pig-hunter in Australia.
«They call themselves “grunter hunters,” but the small army of Australians who spend their weekends stalking wild pigs through the bush are finding themselves increasingly outnumbered.» —“Australia has more wild pigs than humans” by Nicke Squires in Mission Beach, Queensland, Australia Telegraph (United Kingdom) Sept. 27, 2007. (source: Double-Tongued Dictionary)
- Niblings and Nieflings (episode #1525) 05/14/2019: How do actors bring Shakespeare's lines to life so that modern audiences immediately understand the text? One way is to emphasize the names of people... [more]
- Kite in a Phone Booth (episode #1524) 04/29/2019: Stunt performers in movies have their own jargon for talking about their dangerous work. They refer to a stunt, for example, as a gag. Across... [more]
- Kids Are Asking (episode #1523) 04/11/2019: Questions from young listeners and conversations about everything from shifting slang to a bizarre cooking technique. Kids ask about how to talk about finding information... [more]
- Strawberry Moon (episode #1522) 04/08/2019: We asked for your thoughts about whether cursive writing should be taught in schools — and many of you replied with a resounding "Yes!" You... [more]
- Spill the Tea (episode #1521) 03/25/2019: If someone urges you to spill the tea, they probably don't want you tipping over a hot beverage. Originally, the tea here was the letter... [more]