Home » Segments » Portmanteau Word Blends

Portmanteau Word Blends

Play episode

What do you call a word made from a blend of two other words, like motel from motor and hotel? A listener says his term for them is “Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup words,” after the old commercial: “You got chocolate in my peanut butter! You got peanut butter in my chocolate!” But he wonders if there’s another, more established term. The hosts introduce him to the word portmanteau. This is part of a complete episode.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More from this show


The Irish English word bockety describes someone who has difficulty walking, or something that’s fallen into a state of disrepair, as...