Home » station wagon

Tagstation wagon

Wayback and Back-Back

Joan in Bettendorf, Iowa, has always called the rear compartment of a station wagon the wayback. Did she invent the term? No, and the last time we discussed this term on the show, listeners from all over chimed in to say they use it, too. Some...

Way Back

What do you call the rear compartment of a station wagon or minivan? Many know it as the way back (or wayback), not to be confused with the regular back, which is more likely to have seat belts. This is part of a complete episode.

way back

way back  n.—Gloss: the backmost area of a station wagon (British: estate car), usually used for portage or storage. «I dare say that most people who are parents now never rode in a car seat as children. Many of us didn’t even use the car...

Recent posts