Last week we sent out a simple survey to tens of thousands of A Way with Words listeners and fans.
Our goal: to find out your consensus on the state of the English language: negative, positive or neutral?
We said we’d wait a few weeks to reveal the results. But why wait? We have an answer!
The results were very positive! Seventy-two percent positive! That’s great! That means a large majority of you clicked on the button for “The English language has wonderful diversity! We should find delight in and learn more about its ever-changing features.”
That makes us so happy!
Here’s why: our primary goal has been to change the way our listeners — you included — talk and think about language, including grammar, dialect, new words, and more.
We’re trying to get you to:
If that sounds like something you can get behind (and we know it is — we have the poll results now!) add your voice to ours by giving to support the program today.
Let’s see if, together, we can convince the 28% who voted “neutral” or “negative” in the survey that there’s no reason to worry — English is on a great path and we’ll show you the way.
Martha Barnette and Grant Barrett,
- Steamed Bun 03/20/2017: This week: Do you ever find yourself less-than-specific about your age? Listeners share some of their favorite phrases for fudging that number, like: "Oh, I'm... [more]
- Handful of Minutes 03/20/2017: In Appalachia, the term handful of minutes refers to something small, as in, "She's no bigger than a handful of minutes." This is part of... [more]
- Steganography 03/20/2017: Steganography is the practice of concealing messages within text, digitized data, or other objects. The word derives from Greek words that mean "covered writing." This... [more]
- Jeep Name Origins 03/20/2017: A listener in Ypsilanti, Michigan, wonders how the Army vehicle called a jeep got its name. Answer: It was associated with Eugene the Jeep, a... [more]
- Fudging Your Age 03/20/2017: In a discussion our Facebook group, a woman shares her mother-in-law's favorite expression for fudging her age. This is part of a complete episode. ... [more]