Here you’ll find the full episode of public radio’s A Way with Words, heard on NPR stations around the United States. Looking for something you heard on the show? Try the search page.
- Steamed Bun 03/20/2017: This week: Do you ever find yourself less-than-specific about your age? Listeners share some of their favorite phrases for fudging that number, like: "Oh, I'm... [more]
- Origin of Hello 03/20/2017: The hell in hello has nothing to do with the Devil's abode. The word is related to similar shouts of greeting, such as hallo or... [more]
- Muffin Anti-Joke 03/20/2017: The tradition of the German antiwitz or anti-joke includes a groaner that starts with a couple of muffins sitting in an oven. When one muffin... [more]
- Not Old, Just Young for a Long Time 03/20/2017: A listener in our Facebook group reports that sometimes he says he's not old — he's just been young for a really long time. This... [more]
- Must Needs 03/20/2017: A man in Del Mar, California, wonders about the expression must needs meaning "must by necessity." Is it a regionalism, pretentious, or perhaps used just... [more]