We’re small even though we might seem large.
When the three of us took over the show in 2007, A Way with Words was broadcast on just 12 radio stations in four states.
For the first few years, we took no pay for our work. Yep! None. We were that passionate about the show’s potential.
Each time we sat at Stefanie’s dining room table to plan for the future, we agreed that this show had the potential to bring people together and provide a little oasis of thoughtful conversation each week. We formed a nonprofit to keep producing the show and distributing it for free.
Today A Way with Words is on the air in 42 states, with more than five million podcast downloads a year. We love sharing all we’ve learned in live performances across the country. We’re excited about doing even more. But to continue serving our growing audience, we need support.
That’s where you come in. You’re the fourth person at the dining room table. Help us build for the future. Let’s keep this conversation going!
Join the other listeners and fans who support A Way with Words with an annual gift of $120 or more.
You may also make a donation by sending a check to Wayword, Inc., P.O. Box 632721, San Diego, CA 92163, or through the PayPal Giving Fund.
Thank you for your support, and thanks for listening.
Martha Barnette and Grant Barrett, co-hosts and co-producers
Stefanie Levine, senior producer
Wayword, Inc., through the radio show and podcast of A Way with Words, promotes better human communication and understanding by looking at language through the lenses of family, history, and culture, and by revealing human connections across eras, generations, cultures, and languages. It normalizes an appreciation for kind, fair, and learned communication and encourages an appreciation of literacy and education that pushes back against ignorance and intolerance. Read the full mission, vision, and values statement.
- We comply with all California and United States federal law regarding data retention and security.
- We do not sell your data, ever.
- This page and all of its donation forms are encrypted.
A Way with Words giving essentials
- A Way with Words is produced by Wayword, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation.
- Your donation may be tax-deductible. Consult with your tax-preparer.
- The radio show and podcast depend directly on support from listeners, fans, and followers like you.
- A Way with Words is independent. It is not a part of NPR or any radio station.
- The show and its nonprofit receive no funding from NPR, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the federal government, or radio stations.
- When you donate to your favorite public radio station — which you should! — A Way with Words receives none of that. Give to both.
- No listener is charged a fee for our show. No station is ever charged a fee for broadcasting it. Instead, the cost of the show is covered by listeners, donors, and sponsors like you who enjoy the program, want it to continue to exist in the world, and believe in its mission.
Our Nonprofit Status
A Way with Words is produced by Wayword, Inc., a California-incorporated 501(c)(3) corporation, federal tax identification number 27-0277377.