We’re small even though we might seem large.
When we took over the show in 2007, A Way with Words was broadcast on just 12 radio stations in four states.
There was a staff of only three. Stefanie Levine, producer. Martha Barnette, co-host. Grant Barrett, co-host.
For the first few years, we took no pay. Instead, we paid for everything out of our own pockets. We also took on extra duties to run the business. Lots of extra duties. That’s how it is when you do something you love! For every hour we spend in the studio, there are more than a hundred hours between us of other work to do.
Each time we sat at Stefanie’s dining room table and made our plans, we agreed we needed help to make the show grow.
Who could we find? Who would help?
It eventually dawned on us. The answer was obvious.
The fans. People who love the radio show. Listeners who want to hear more. Die-hards from around the world who send us passionate emails of support and leave thousands of enthusiastic voice messages every month.
Fans and listeners donate to support a program that they love to hear and that they want others to hear, too. They donate because they want more of it.
The fourth one at the dining room table – one who helps with what we are building — is you.
With you, this tiny, thrifty nonprofit runs a national radio show heard in 40 states on more than 330 transmitters. Thanks to you, the show is heard by more people than ever and downloaded more than three million times a year.
Though the change in audience size has been great, there are only four staff members working for our nonprofit and radio show. We’re still small!
But all that growth now means more behind-the-scenes business that requires more operating funds and more operating staff.
Today, join us at the table as we make our plans for many more new episodes in 2020 and the staff to make them happen.
Join the other listeners and fans who support A Way with Words with an annual gift of $120 or more.
Thank you for your support, and thanks for listening.
🔒 Make a Donation Now
using this secure form
Ask your employer if they will match your donation. Many companies do!
You can also instead use your PayPal account to donate through the PayPal Giving Fund, which gives 100% of your donation to A Way with Words.
Or donate by postal mail:
3911 Cleveland Ave #632721
San Diego, CA 92163
A Way with Words giving essentials
- A Way with Words is produced by Wayword, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation.
- Your donation may be tax-deductible. Consult with your tax-preparer.
- The radio show and podcast depend directly on support from listeners, fans, and followers like you.
- A Way with Words is independent. It is not a part of NPR or any radio station.
- The show and its nonprofit receive no funding from NPR, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the federal government, or radio stations.
- When you donate to your favorite public radio station — which you should! — A Way with Words receives none of that. Give to both.
- No listener is ever charged a fee for our show. No station is ever charged a fee for broadcasting it. Instead, the cost of the show is covered by listeners, donors, and sponsors like you who enjoy the program, want it to continue to exist in the world, and believe in its mission.
Wayword, Inc., through the radio show and podcast of A Way with Words, promotes better human communication and understanding by looking at language through the lenses of family, history, and culture, and by revealing human connections across eras, generations, cultures, and languages. It normalizes an appreciation for kind, fair, and learned communication and encourages an appreciation of literacy and education that pushes back against ignorance and intolerance. Read the full mission, vision, and values statement.
- We comply with all California and United States federal law regarding data retention and security.
- We do not sell your data, ever.
- This page and all of its donation forms are encrypted.
Our Nonprofit Status
The Wayword, Inc., federal tax identification number is 27-0277377.
United States federal tax reporting: