What do we call it when new inventions or ideas change the name of something old? It used to be that the word guitar was sufficient, but now we regularly distinguish between an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar. Same for television, a word that sufficed until we started saying color television to distinguish it from the earlier black-and-white version. What’s the word for such terms? We know you can’t wait: it’s retronym. This is part of a complete episode.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.