It might be the grooviest new holiday since Burning Man: Hippie Christmas is the annual festivity surrounding the end of the college school year, when students leave perfectly good clothing and household goods by the curb or the dumpster because they don’t want to schlep it all back home. This is part of a complete episode.
- "Bless Your Heart," A Cutting Phrase 02/20/2017: The multipurpose phrase bless your heart is heard often in the southern United States. Although it sounds polite and solicitous, it often has a cutting... [more]
- Origin of "Bangs" in "Hair Bangs" 02/20/2017: The noun bangs, meaning "hair cut straight across the forehead," may derive from the idea of the word bang meaning "abruptly," as in a bangtail... [more]
- Loose Lips Sink Ships 02/20/2017: The phrase loose lips sink ships is a warning to be careful about what you say publicly. It stems from propaganda posters from World War... [more]
- Irish Pennant 02/20/2017: An ex-Marine reports that his commanding officer used to castigate his men for any stray threads hanging from their uniforms, calling those loose threads Irish... [more]
- To Bat Wings and Eyes 02/20/2017: In the 17th century, the verb to bate and the likely related verb, to bat, were used in falconry to mean "to flap wildly." By... [more]