When someone says they should be bored for the hollow horn, it’s typically a lighthearted way of saying they should have their own head examined. The saying comes from an old supposed disease of cattle that made them dull and lethargic, and diagnosed by boring a hole in one of their horns. This is part of a complete episode.
- Charismatic Animals 02/20/2017: After researchers from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in San Diego discovered a seahorse-like creature called the ruby sea dragon, they described this brilliant red... [more]
- Questions As Veiled Criticisms 02/20/2017: A psychotherapist in Burlington, Vermont, observes that couples in counseling together ask each other questions that are actually veiled criticisms. Such indirect communication was the... [more]
- Pronouncing The Word "The" 02/20/2017: A Palm Springs, California, listener was taught that when the word the is followed by a vowel, it should be pronounced with a long e,... [more]
- Slap-Up Champing 02/20/2017: The Churches Conservation Trust helps maintain and repurpose more than 300 churches in Britain that are no longer used for worship. To raise money for... [more]
- A Snarky Solution to Late Arrivers 02/20/2017: Following our discussion about how to handle repeated excuses from a perpetually late co-worker, a listener sends a snarky solution from a stylist in her... [more]