Home » Food and Meals » Pizza Handles, Pizza Rinds, and Other Names

Pizza Handles, Pizza Rinds, and Other Names

Play episode
What do you call the edge of the crust left on a pizza once you’ve eaten through the part with all the toppings? Some people refer to this as a dough-lip, a pizza bone, or a pizza handle, or a pizza rind. It’s also been called the dashboard. In Italian, it’s il cornicione, a word cognate with Englis cornice. In Japanese, it’s piza no mimi (ピザの耳), which translates as “pizza ear.” This is part of a complete episode.

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More from this show

Holy Cow!

Emily from New Orleans, Louisiana, wonders about the expression Holy cow! to indicate surprise or delight. It’s one of many minced oaths, in this case a replacement for the stronger exclamation, Holy Christ! These euphemistic expressions, such...

Food and Meals