n.— «Part Two of Question: What are the yellow flashing lights that move from side to side on the runway? They put you in the mind of caution lights. If these are caution lights, why would they be on the runway or taxiway? Answer: They’re called “wig-wags” and are used in low visibility to help prevent pilots from inadvertently taxiing onto a runway without a clearance (known as a “runway incursion”).…The term “wig-wags” is also used to describe other types of alternating lights, such as the landing lights Southwest uses on their fleet for improved visibility.» —“Why do pilots want to kill the rabbit?” by Meryl Getline USA Today Feb. 20, 2006. (source: Double-Tongued Dictionary)

Tagged with →  

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.