In English, we sometimes liken feeling out of place to being a fish out of water. The corresponding phrase in Spanish is to say you feel como un pulpo en el garaje, or like an octopus in a garage. This is part of a complete episode.
- Where Does "Pilot" in "Pilot Episode" Come From? 02/20/2017: Why is the first episode of a television series often called a pilot? This is part of a complete episode. ... [more]
- Timid Question 02/20/2017: As the 19th-century British jurist Charles Darling observed: "A timid question will always receive a confident answer." This is part of a complete episode. ... [more]
- Charismatic Animals 02/20/2017: After researchers from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in San Diego discovered a seahorse-like creature called the ruby sea dragon, they described this brilliant red... [more]
- Questions As Veiled Criticisms 02/20/2017: A psychotherapist in Burlington, Vermont, observes that couples in counseling together ask each other questions that are actually veiled criticisms. Such indirect communication was the... [more]
- Pronouncing The Word "The" 02/20/2017: A Palm Springs, California, listener was taught that when the word the is followed by a vowel, it should be pronounced with a long e,... [more]