A teacher in Dallas, Texas, is trying to learn Spanish in order to chat casually with some of his students. He’s having some success with the smartphone app DuoLingo. But an app won’t necessarily give him the slang vocabulary he needs. A good way to learn a new language is to approach it as you would a fitness program. Set reasonable goals, commit to the long term, don’t expect results overnight, and if possible, practice with a buddy or a trainer. This is part of a complete episode.
- Flee Fly Flo 01/02/2017: Wrapping up 2016 with words from the past year and some newsy limericks. Bigly and Brexit were on lots of lips this year, as well... [more]
- To Be Honest With You 01/02/2017: What does a person really mean when she starts a statement with "to be honest with you"? It's important not to take such expressions too... [more]
- Zika 01/02/2017: Unfortunately, one word of the year candidate for 2016 is Zika, the name of the mosquito-borne virus linked to devastating birth defects. This is part... [more]
- Year-End Limerick Quiz 01/02/2017: What's an end-of-the-year episode without Quiz Guy John Chaneski's limericks about words in the news? This is part of a complete episode. ... [more]
- Gaslighting 01/02/2017: A listener in Tampa, Florida, was discussing the 2016 presidential election when the term gaslighted came up. Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse in... [more]